Welcome to the MSM Club! You have a car that Mazda did many things right on, and many things wrong. Listed below is the recommended upgrades from BEGi. Our premise is to make the most power at the lowest possible boost level.
1. Turbo system. While this is not every one's first choice, it is ours. Mazda put an excellent suspension on the MSM and the wimpiest turbo known to man. So if you want to maximize the potential, replace the turbo system. If that is not your preference, please refer to the rest of the list.
2. Throttle Inlet Tube. This piece must be the first item to go. It is rubber and expands to three times it's size under boost. It is very prone to cracking at the seems and falling off. If not replaced it could potentially leave you stranded on the side of the road.
3. Boost Gauge. You need to know what boost level you are running. A boost gauge is also a good indicator to see if the engine has been damaged. You should never run a boosted car without a boost gauge.
4. Bypass Valve. Upgrading to the Forge Bypass valve will help the boost stay at 8 psi instead of peaking and dropping off.
5. Cool Air Intake System. Unlike other systems, the BEGI Cool Air Intake sources fresh air for more power. Cooler air will always make more power. The BEGI Cool Air Intake does not need a manual boost controller to make more power.
6. Downpipe. Part of the path to more power includes less restrictions in the exhaust path. The Downpipe is larger than stock and also includes a metallic core catalytic converter. The metallic core cat will make 5-10 whp more than any "Hi Flow" cat. We offer both stock replacement downpipes and separated gases downpipes. The fully separated gases downpipe can cause boost creep.
7. Exhaust System. Also helps to eliminate restrictions in the exhaust path.
All of these upgrade will net a little less than 200 whp at stock boost levels. Beyond that, we strongly recommend that you add an Xede Engine Management System and larger injectors.
8. ECU Reflash. The ECU reflash is a good alternative to the full engine management solutions. It will raise the rev limiter, eliminate the MSM Bog, and also allow for more power. Some fuel and timing changes are made too.
9. Xede EMS. The Xede will control fuel, timing, boost levels, and open loop/closed loop functions. The Xede will take you to the limits of the 440 cc injectors and stock engine internals. The Xede can pass OBD II inspection. It also has functions to allow you to switch maps 'on the fly' and control a water injection system. The Xede EMS system includes the larger injectors, PNP ECU Harness, Boost Restrictor Pill, and software.
10. Wideband O2 Gauge. You will need to add a wideband O2 gauge if you have upgraded the engine management system. This will allow you to do most of the tuning yourself and still provide the peace of mind that the car has plenty of fuel.